Discussion in 'Album Chat' started by DRscottrun311, Jan 3, 2020.
Favorite song by them?
Man idk. But I could make a playlist like this and listen straight through.
Change of Heart
Give Yourself a Try
Sincerity is Scary
Nothing Revealed/Everything Denied
Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy)
It’s dawning on me that most of these are singles, which is interesting. They are exactly my age, and we have similar coming of age experiences that informs their stuff. I feel like if I were ten years younger, they’d be my favorite bands. The one thing that prevents me from being SUPER into it is that sometimes they get extremely saccharine/emo.
How about Anti Christ?
never was fond of that one - sounded like Mumford and Sons to me for some reason
Dang my bad
ranking the impact of band member loss:
1. Nick: without his type A personality pushing them to work, they wouldn’t even be famous. He’s the principal songwriter and nothing would happen without him.
2. Chad: he is a major songwriting force in the band. And, in light of recent co-writer trends and snafus, without his contributions, there might not be much new music of good quality. Plus, he’s such an amazing drummer technically that he couldn’t simply be replaced. Also, I’ve never heard him fuck up (or I’ve never noticed). The retiring of the drum solo that would have to happen would be a significant impact on the live show.
3. SA: he’s right in the middle. They could go on without him because his role has been shrinking since the early days, but he’s such a unique and dynamic presence for them that they just wouldn’t sound the same without him. They could get by via only performing Nick-dominated songs, but you’d leave shows wanting the ‘90s fire tracks, and something would just be missing on any new recordings. SA’s right in the middle because they COULD carry on without him, but they SHOULDN’T.
4. Tim: it hurts to put Tim here. He’s great, but he’s averaging 1 song per album these days, and there are guitar ringers out there who could mimic his style. There’s a valid argument to flip his and SA’s spots, though, such as the fact his songs are always highlights and that a guitarist’s unique playing style gives a band much of its identity.
5. P-Nut: P-Nut is a very talented bassist. But since he hasn’t contributed much in the way of writing since the band members were roommates, I have him in the most replaceable spot. He’s great at what he does, but another pro could step in somewhat easily, I think. Plus, no one would really miss the bass solo if it stopped.
I bothered to sign in just to have liked and replied to this. Nail on the head. Back to sleep til album thyme.
I'm sure everyone remembers but I had a 1975 avatar on the old bb for a while - S/T album cover. I really liked the EPs, but the S/T was musical heroin. The early 2010s had what I was craving - bands perving on the 80's sound but not just copying it, spinning it well. A couple years prior we got Hurts' "Happiness". That and the 1975's S/T were two of my favorite albums of that decade.
I saw them in a ~500 person venue in Denver in 2013:
I guess I'm a plebeian, because the more they "grow", the more I tune out. I legit appreciate them trying to whatever the hell they want. And they have put out a lot of tracks I really like. I just can't count on really getting into a whole album of theirs.
I agree with this. I almost want to put SA before Chad, but that's because of their live shows; they can play Down and other hits without Chad, but not so much without SA. But adding in writing, then sure, Chad would be harder in that capacity. I think they're close because of that, but I'd probably agree Chad should be at 2. I agree with where Tim and P-Nut are, and even though Tim's songs are awesome, I think the numbers are so low that SA just tops him with how essential he is for live shows.
But yeah, I don't think they'd go on without any band member at this point, after 30 years, and I don't even know that I think they should.
dis is blud sponge?
Gabe Weiner is waiting in the wings to replace Mit
What if 311 added a guitarist for live performances?
Pat Smear seems to be everyone's choice for that.
I think if 311 ever lost a member they'd do the Dave Matthews thing and add 4 guys in his place.
311 feat. The Feldy Goon All-Stars?
Hope all is well for everyone.
They already did that a few times